Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it. George Bernard Shaw

Monday, March 2, 2009

Welcome note (Introduction)

Welcome to my blog!

First of all, I want to state immediately that I won’t translate any post in Italian, but in very exceptional cases. The reason why I’m using this language – different from my native and I am still not totally familiar with –, is that I don’t want my many friends living out of Italy to be excluded from this stories; from my stories.

This blog has no specific structure, no clear framework or development. It’s my way to reflect on my personal, professional and human experience as well as a way to share it with all people I would love talking to. Don’t be surprised if you’ll read stories from Central Asia mixed with thoughts on International politics, particular events or facts, and even memories; I could also insert into this space some particular reflection on Italy, Italian customs and habits, and on Italian politics. I usually don’t like writing on these issues: there’s plenty of people much more skilled then I paid for this; but, they usually write in Italian. On the other side foreign observers don’t stay for a sufficient lapse of time to fully understand this crazy country.
While speaking to my foreign friends, I always find out the impression they usually get from medias of Italy being a “weird” country comes from the lack of general framework and historical background in articles about Italy. The truth is that we were, we are and we’ll always be a small but complex country, probably more than other countries could ever think of.
You cannot understand Mafia if you don’t know also Camorra, ‘Ndrangheta e Sacra Corona Unita; you cannot talk about Sicily if you don’t know the stories of Peppino Impastato, Giovanni Falcone, Paolo Borsellino and other martyrs of the Italian Republic. You cannot wonder why “we” vote Berlusconi if you don’t know what happened before him (link available only in Italian, qed) and what is going on since 1994 on the left side of the Parliament.

Still, this blog will be about me. For years and years I kept for me my stories and thoughts, sharing some of them just with intimate friends during long and pleasant talk, sipping red wine or good beer. I think now it’s time for change. My friends are (spread?) around the world, the time for face to face chat is over.
Now it’s time to start telling stories; again, my stories. Hope you’ll enjoy.

Faithfully,
Giulio

No comments: